Questioning assumption that since gnome > mallard, so *must* ubuntu docs

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Wed Jan 27 17:22:57 UTC 2010

Matthew East wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 10:07 AM, Kyle Nitzsche
> <kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com> wrote:
>
>> My question really is: why is it a "slam dunk" that since gnome 3.0 is
>> moving to mallard, ubuntu-docs is too, albeit at some point. (That's a
>> quote from the meeting log:
>> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/DocTeam/January2010)
>>
>> We've established that docbook content can include mallard, so ubuntu
>> docs could theoretically remain docbook and include new gnome mallard docs.
>>
>> I am explicitly questioning this assumption because I don't understand
>> it yet. So what's the reasoning here?
>>

> I was the person who you've quoted there so I'll explain what I mean.
> It isn't an assumption so much as an opinion.
>
> (Incidentally, it might be better to have Mallard related discussion
> on a single thread rather than raising each new question/point on a
> separate thread. That way the discussion is easy to find when one is
> going back over things.)
>
> With the introduction of Mallard, Gnome plans to rewrite its user
> documentation. Given that Ubuntu uses Gnome as its desktop, we should
> strive to reuse as much user documentation as possible in order to
> avoid reinventing the wheel and duplicating material. That's what we
> do with our software, and documentation is not different.
Hi Matthew and all:

This ^^^ is what I consider a "Strategic Requirement" or goal, or
whatever you'd like to call it. Namely, this is a high-level direction
that informs all other decisions and comes with a large set of benefits,
costs, capabilities, and limitations. That's really the kind of
information I was attempting to elicit in the other thread's discussion
about a need to articulate high level Ubuntu Help Center requirements.

So I wonder, what is the status of this particular strategic direction?
 * Has the decision been taken?
 * Are there articulated rationales, risks, plans, etc?
 * Is there an assumption that this is the right path, or has the
assumption been analyzed, tested and vetted?

I, personally, am not convinced that the default assumption for other
upstream software (use it, and customize it as needed) necessarily
applies to help. The Ubuntu user experience and needs for communication
may be different enough that it is not the appropriate model. The
difference in the user experiences between Gnome and Ubuntu is likely to
increase, not decrease. And, as mentioned below, Mallard allows adding
topics, not removing them.

At any rate, it's certainly a matter of first-level importance, so
information about the thinking/planning would be especially useful.

> Proper reuse
> of that documentation doesn't mean just inserting single documents
> into the help system. It means inserting material into the structure
> provided by Gnome, by adopting and using the pluggability that Mallard
> will provide us with.

Mallard allows adding content, not removing it. So refactoring Gnome
help content would probably be needed.