New to Ubuntu (was Ubuntu-docs Requirements?)

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Thu Jan 21 21:14:46 UTC 2010

Matthew East wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 9:19 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
>> I'm interested in working on newtoubuntu in the coming weeks. I agree
>> that it requires some planning and will aim to kick off a wiki page
>> for discussion over the next few days.
>>

> An initial first draft plan for the document is here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/Ideas/NewToUbuntu
>
> Please feel free to reply to this thread with any feedback.

I like it. I've added my name as wiling to help.

I think the following should be considered:
* it should make heavy uses of images and they should be localized.
* it should include inline (default theme) icons for applications
* It should be a separate package to ease customization of ubuntu docs
and enable a different build (for images). This can be a trial for
possible further modularization into packages.
* it should be built with launchpad.net/doctemplate, since it works and
supports localized images
* it should launch on first boot after install.

Today I quickly ported an ubuntu-docs article to support localized
images. See previous email. It is quite doable, and this is particularly
beneficial for this type of "first use" content.

Cheers,
Kyle