Localized Images (wasRe: ubuntu-docs Requirements?)

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Thu Jan 21 16:21:31 UTC 2010

Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
> {snip}
>
> Theoretically, "New to Ubuntu" could be written to support localized
> images in docbook with not much work using doctemplate as the build
> system. It would be its own pkg but would also be in ubuntu help center
> index/toc. The user experience would be no different than it is today:
> it would simply appear as a topic in Ubuntu Help Center. Yes, it would
> need omf files - which is almost zero work. (Could also be displayed on
> first boot.) It could transition to mallard as part of that larger plan.
>
> I will attempt to prove this ^^ by posting localized versions of an
> existing ubuntu-docs topic (with some translated text and localized
> images) in docbook, html, and pdf in a  short period of time.

So, I took the about-ubuntu topic and set it up for doctemplate. (one
command and a minuscule amount of file copying/rearranging)

I added a localized Spanish image (by simply dropping it in images-es/).

Updated pot and pos with: ./update_pot_pos command

modified a few es.po strings to include " DEMO L10n - Kyle"

Built localized docbook with ./make_docbook.

* screenshot of localized (text and image) docbook in yelp ENGLISH:
http://people.canonical.com/~knitzsche/en.png
* screenshot of localized (text and image) docbook in yelp SPANISH
http://people.canonical.com/~knitzsche/es.png

Built localized pdfs with ./make_pdf
* ENGLISH pdf: http://people.canonical.com/~knitzsche/about-ubuntu.en.pdf
* SPANISH pdf: http://people.canonical.com/~knitzsche/about-ubuntu.es.pdf

A brief, focused, localized "New to Ubuntu" article/package could
theoretically be written this way and be delivered as pdf, docbook, html
with no difference to the user experience, I think.

cheers,
Kyle