Localized Images (wasRe: ubuntu-docs Requirements?)

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Thu Jan 21 14:24:11 UTC 2010

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> On Thu, Jan 21, 2010 at 1:18 AM, Kyle Nitzsche
> <kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com> wrote:
>
> {snip}
>>  * I note there are no (or very few) images in ubuntu-docs, including no
>> inline icons for apps (yes, I know they can change with theme). Was this
>> not a requirement? Generally, graphics and images make for effective
>> communications. And of course, they have to be localized, and they
>> create work. Does the current build system support localized images?
>>

> No, it doesn't. We avoid full size application or desktop screenshots
> in desktop help on the basis that they are thought to be easy to
> confuse by users with the actual application itself (which the user
> may have open while reading the help) - see for example mpt's post
> here and related links -
> http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2006-July/msg00154.html.
> Having said that, I can definitely see that some graphics might be
> helpful.
>

>> Does mallard? A transition to mallard should be evaluated in light of
>> this "requirement," whatever it is.
>>

> It certainly supports images
> (http://projectmallard.org/about/learn/media.html), but no markup
> language really supports localised images. It's the build system and
> team processes that will define how images can be localised. Mallard
> isn't a build system. I don't know how gnome-doc-utils currently deals
> with the translation of screenshots but we can ask around. Given that
> we don't currently do it, anything that can be added would be a bonus.

So, we agree images sometimes are a benefit and that the ubuntu-docs
build system may not currently support localized images. I'd propose
that implementing this should be a "requirement" for which
implementation plans can be formulated.

Please note that launchpad.net/doctemplate supports building docbook
with localized images in a very easy to use way:
 * each content directory has an "images/" directory. Theses are the
default images.
 * you can add localized images directories, for example: images-es (for
Spanish images). If you put an image in there, it is used in producing
the localized docbook instead of the default one.

Thus, it simply allows adding localized files and they are used. No need
to write image filenames in a build system file.

cheers,
Kyle