Transition to Mallard?

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Wed Jan 20 21:18:59 UTC 2010

+1 to all of Thomas's points below.

Regarding some of the the advantages put forward previously for Mallard:
 * simpler syntax: docbook isn't that hard for writers. If you can't
deal with it, should you really be writing docs?
 * highly modular & topic based: there's nothing in docbook that
prevents or discourages modular and topic based writing. See the
xinclude examples thoughtfully included below and consider the fact that
a <section> can contain a <section>:
http://www.docbook.org/tdg/en/html/section.html
 * topics self-link to the main page reducing maintenance. Very nice,
but how important really? If it's a part of ubuntu-docs, put it on the
index page. Otherwise, let it be freestanding. Do we really want help
for random application X linking itself to the main help page? Can this
even be prevented if that's desired? Why do people think this is such a
compelling feature?
 * well-supported upstream. *only*. Note the list of docbook standards
below.
 * better navigation: docbook doesn't impose doc navigation limits that
I know of. It's the way it is deployed that determines navigability.
Consider that my thrown together web page is a docbook article that I
converted to html by running 'make_html':
http://people.canonical.com/~knitzsche/
 * it's a new feature, which people like: end users don't care about new
features. When they want info, it's to solve a problem they are having.

My 2 cents: use  docbook (the "giant among men") better instead of
switching to something brand new and shiny too soon. Better to give it a
chance to mature and shake out its kinks. Then proceed *deliberately*.

Cheers,
Kyle