What are we doing wrong?

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 15:19:28 UTC 2010

Hi Kelvin,

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 13:04 +0000, Kelvin Gardiner wrote:
> I don't think new users think of looking in the system menu. As has been
> mentioned most people's first thought is to go to Google. Maybe moving
> the menu entry to above the Software Center menu item may help, so the
> help item is more visible. Also, may be a link on the desktop for new
> installs would be good.

I tried it on someone who has never used Ubuntu before and they looked
in the System menu. Maybe the menu item there doesn't look very
appealing/useful. I've attached a mockup of how we could modify that.
There's a "Tutorials" item and a "Fixing Common Problems" item. Let me
know what you think.

> In terms of promotion. Maybe more promotion would help. But I think that
> a new project for a single document is probably more attractive, and so
> will gain more publicity, than updating  the less exciting sounding
> system docs. It would be good to see the manual promote the existence of
> and getting involved with the system docs.

We can put the system docs into a single document reasonably easily,
perhaps with some new material to help it link together better, but
without duplicating much stuff. I agree that it has attracted a lot of
publicity, which we should try to use if we can.

Thanks,

Phil

--
Phil Bull