Documentation Rifts and Rebuttals

Benjamin Humphrey humphreybc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 08:58:25 UTC 2010

David,

I sent that email to you only - it wasn't meant to go to the mailing list,
but it's done now. I'd just like to point out some errors in your email that
if I leave un-corrected might further the confusion that's already
omnipresent in this discussion :)

*"official documentation authors"*
*
*
*There we go with the official stuff again - there is no such thing as
"official" in Ubuntu! As far as I'm aware, none of the docs team are paid by
Canonical for what they do, neither am I or any of our team.
*

*"What did you think was going to happen when you show up to the Doc-Team
and announce your are going to try and out do their efforts with yet another
project?"*

Wrong. We aren't trying to "out-do" their efforts, we are complimenting
them. We're aimed at a different user base than the docs team. I highly
suggest you read our wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-manual

*"And to try and use their list as a recruiting effort for that goal..."*

Wrong. If you look back at the first email I sent, you'll see that I was
offering collaboration between our project and the main docs - a share of
content and contributors. While we do have a different target audience to
the docs team, some of our content and material will definitely cross over -
and so do our authors. I was extending an invitation to the docs team to use
our resources, not trying to recruit helpers - I don't know where you got
that from.

*"It seems that you are asking for your way and your way only."*

Definitely wrong - if you look back at the original email again you'll
notice that my emphasis was on asking the docs team what they would like
from us, not me demanding what I would like from them! I believe I said
this: "I'd like to ask what else the docs team would like from the manual
team."

I think that a lot of this has actually spiraled out of control and away
from the original email that I sent which was completely different to what
we are now talking about!

Please, everyone go and read my original email to avoid further confusion -
and have a look at our wiki! Especially the FAQ :)

Please, I'm not trying to make enemies! I started off my first email with an
apology because I had worded our justification on the wiki in a way that
cast a bad light on the docs team, and I have corrected this long ago. I'm
asking for collaboration, not approval and I'm not trying to recruit people
for this "evil manual project that plans to take over the docs team work!"

I'm not a silly person, If I honestly thought that what we are trying to
achieve is exactly the same as the docs team then why would I bother pouring
hours and hours of time and effort into this project?

Cheerio, and best of luck for 2010,
Benjamin