Ubuntu Help Center and Mallard items

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Thu Feb 4 14:11:14 UTC 2010

Phil Bull wrote:
> Hi Kyle,
>
> On Mon, 2010-02-01 at 15:38 -0500, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
>
>> Customization:
>>  * Look towards decoupling monolithic help content into sub packages to
>> facilitate customization for Ubuntu variants
>>

> Just to pick up on this: How do you see the help packages being
> split-up, and how would that facilitate customisation? I'm thinking that
> variants would end up making changes to most topics, so would have to
> patch most packages anyway.

There are lots of ways this could be done, but I'd propose starting with
separately packaging two topics:
 * New To Ubuntu (because this is a prime opportunity for customization
for a particular Ubuntu Variant/OEM client project to include welcome
messages and points of particular interest since it can be displayed at
first boot. The ability to do this without forking ubuntu-docs would be
great.)
 * Ubuntu One client content Matt G has just mentioned (because some
Ubuntu variants/OEM projects may not expose Ubuntu Help Center since the
UI is somewhat different, but the Ubuntu One client will probably still
be installed, so a way to provide this help content without undue
difficulty would be great.)

Cheers,
Kyle