Mallard: Collaborate or Not?

Morten Kjeldgaard mok at bioxray.dk
Mon Feb 1 14:15:01 UTC 2010

Richard JOHNSON wrote:

> Shaun will tell you, that when he originally stated this, a few years ago
> now, I called it vaporware and not yet another documenting language. I was
> actually against Mallard and everything. And plus we have this big KDE and
> GNOME, evil enemies deal as well. After not only talking with Shaun and
> other leaders in the KDE community, my eyes were opened a bit. We at KDE
> want to go with topic-based in the future, and Mallard will help us with
> that. Shaun has reached out to the KDE community for collaboration. We are

I'm also a Kubuntuist and I am totally on the same page. Mallard is a
modern, well structured and efficient replacement for things like debiandoc,
infotex and the happy variety of HTML and text files we find scattered
around the system.

Having all this documentation, organized by topic, in a bzr repo on LP would
be a huge improvement over the horrible, unmaintainable and messy wiki. We
could branch and patch and be getting on, in line with the way Ubuntu
development is headed these days.

Mallard is not *per se* limited to Gnome. There is no reason that we
couldn't have a KDE reader like yelp (for the KDE purists).

Cheers,
Morten

--
Morten Kjeldgaard <mok0 at ubuntu.com>