Direction of the Ubuntu system docs

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 21 21:41:07 UTC 2010

Hi

On 21/12/10 04:27 PM, mw crowley wrote:
> I fully understand Canonical's aspiration to gain wider acceptance for
> OEMs.  I imagine this is a response to MS FUD over open source
> licensing, as they try to gain wider acceptance.  I'm not at all
> comfortable with an agreement that requires me to "execute any
> documents and perform any acts that Canonical requests."   Whether
> this is at Canonical's expense, or for Canonical's protection, I
> wouldn't touch that agreement with a ten foot pole, and neither should
> anyone else who isn't being compensated for their work.  Any agreement
> that requires action after submitting work needs to explicitly define
> compensation.
> I get where Canonical's coming from, and I get what they're trying to
> achieve, and I wouldn't have any problem volunteering my time to
> further their cause, but I couldn't support that agreement.

It seems at this stage that they care more about making more money than
losing some contributors here and there.

Personally I think it's outrageous that they want to distribute non-free
copies of software on OEM computers. If you buy an OEM system with
Ubuntu on it, the actual Ubuntu packages you get on it shouldn't be any
less free than an Ubuntu disc downloaded anywhere else.

-Jonathan