Direction of the Ubuntu system docs

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 23:28:41 UTC 2010

Hi Jim,

On Mon, 2010-12-20 at 17:12 -0600, Jim Campbell wrote:
> Mark has said that the any Unity docs would be able to be released
> under the same license as the Ubuntu wiki, which is CC-by-SA (v3, I
> think?), so I don't think that there's an issue there.  At least, it
> wouldn't be an issue for the foreseable future.

The issue I have isn't the license - it would always be available under
a Free license, and there's no risk of it going proprietary as-is. My
problem is the copyright assignment. I don't want to give ownership of
my work away, I want to remain the owner (and share it liberally). I
contribute to Ubuntu because I like being *part* of the project, on a
similar level to everyone else. For me, signing the agreement would feel
like becoming what is essentially an unpaid subcontractor to Canonical.

Others will surely disagree, and will have no reservations about the
agreement.

Thanks,

Phil

--