Documentation Team

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Apr 3 17:11:19 UTC 2010

Hi David,

On Sat, Apr 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM, David Vasta <david.vasta at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply. Zach Kriese has made contact with me and I have given
> him a few questions.
>
> Here is what I need to know that I am sure is documented some place but I
> can't seem to find it:

I believe that it is - assuming that you're interested in working on
system documentation rather than wiki documentation, the answers are
as follows:

> 1. What software do I need on my Ubuntu PC to start?

There is no specific page for this but each of the following pages
will tell you if there is a particular piece of software you need to
install to get started.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Tasks

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Repository

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Editing
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Checking

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Submitting

> I know this is listed in parts and places but it all seemed to be very
> scattered and I am either really slow or just not getting it. I think a
> quick movie or web meeting could solve a bit of this. Once I figure it out I
> would love to share with others and maybe put together a newbie page.

Yes, I think a movie would be quite helpful - I think that a
screencast with commentary showing how to get the docs and then edit
them would definitely be something that would benefit the community.
It could also use groundcontrol, which is a nice graphic utility for
getting and managing bzr branches. If anyone would be interested in
making such a screencast I think that would be a helpful way of
introducing new contributors to our tools.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org