Open Week - another docs day?

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at gmail.com
Sat Sep 26 03:47:20 UTC 2009

On Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 2:27 AM, Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Phil Bull <philbull at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'd be pretty interested in running an introductory session on Mallard,
>> if that's possible?
>
> I like the idea, but am just turning over in my mind whether this is
> something that is suitable for OpenWeek, or maybe a separate session
> some other time. Mallard isn't currently part of our tools and may not
> be something appropriate for potential new contributors to the team.
> I'm wondering whether introducing them to two document formats might
> be a bit off-putting at the stage that we are talking about. It's not
> something currently necessary to contribute to the docteam so would it
> be relevant?
>
> It occurred to me that a talk on Mallard might be something more
> useful for existing contributors to the docteam, so that we can think
> more about whether/when to switch and can prepare for doing so if we
> decide to.
>
> I'm not totally against it but would like to explore these points a
> bit further. Let me know what you think.
>
> --
> Matthew East
> http://www.mdke.org
> gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF

Would switching the Ubuntu docs to mallard be something that the group
would want to consider for the 10.04 release?  Or, given that there is
more of an emphasis on stability for this release . . . do you think
we'll just wait for 10.10?  ( . . . I am just realizing... 10.10...
perfect 10!)  ;-)

If it is the former, then giving a talk on mallard would be most
appropriate.  If not . . . staying with docbook in the Open Week talk
would make sense.  This is
certainly something that we need to discuss, though.

Jim