Upcoming UI changes for UNR: Customizing Yelp's Home Page

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Tue Sep 15 17:25:35 UTC 2009

Hi Dougie,

The case where I did this work involved help home page content that was
not based on the Ubuntu Help Center - it was completely
different/original and written specifically for a netbook. So, that
content and work does not directly apply to karmic UNR, which is a
broader audience. However, I had to grapple with the question of how to
do this, thus the email outlining an approach and some considerations.

Regarding the other bits: namely modifying yelp to use different content
for its home page: unfortunately, this would need to be implemented and
depends on the approach used in karmic UNR. I had coded some of the
bits. In the end, we hid yelp's toolbar entirely, which handled the
"Help Topics" button issue, but eliminated Search, Forward and Back,
which is not optimal. And, we modified the yelp desktop file to point to
the new help home page content. Thus, yelp was launched to show it, not
the Ubuntu Help Center (which was effectively hidden).

Part of my goal with the previous email was to raise approaches that
might make it much easier to make the yelp home page more easily
customizable (for UNR and others) with a fully working toolbar. This
would require additional discussion and some work, including probable
coordination with upstream. Perhaps it is a topic that is suitable for
the next UDS (although this does not address the short term questions
the Karmic UNR team faces).

Cheers,
Kyle