Upcoming UI changes for UNR

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 13 10:06:23 UTC 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:44 AM, Dougie Richardson
<dougierichardson at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Matthew,
>
> 2009/9/13 Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com>:
>>>
>>>  So you mean you started from Ubuntu docs and just revised the Network
>>>  and Internet sections, right?
>>
>> FWIW, I think this is definitely the way that this should be done. UNR
>> is essentially Ubuntu with a facelift, and the majority of the
>> material in the ubuntu-docs package is applicable. We've discussed in
>> the past what the best way to ensure that derivative branches (e.g.
>> xubuntu-docs) can use the material and changes made to the ubuntu-docs
>> branches, and this is an excellent opportunity to put that into
>> practice.
>>
>> I'd like to see a UNR branch created from the ubuntu-docs branch,
>> which makes the relevant changes to account for the differences in
>> menu structure and the additional software included in UNR. That
>> branch can then keep up to date with changes made to the ubuntu-docs
>> branch by merging in such changes as are relevant, and ignoring those
>> that are not.
>>
>> Does anyone see an issue with such an approach?
>
> Yes, the UNR team are keen that help reflects the interface -
> desktop-switcher flips between the two. At the moment we discussed
> that it sets an environment variable used to bring up the relevant
> help.

I don't think that is an issue with what I suggested, which was about
how best to go about creating and maintaining the documents. The issue
you've raised is a challenge related to how to display the end-product
to users, which I think is a challenge that will arise in any event.
The problem is going to be that if UNR intends to use yelp as the help
viewer, yelp is pre-programmed to show the Ubuntu desktop help when it
is opened. I'm pretty sure there is a way around that (probably by
creating a separate custom index page for UNR which yelp opens into)
but I think it's a separate discussion from how to maintain the actual
documents.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org