rough draft of gnome-display-properties

Dougie Richardson dougierichardson at
Sat Sep 12 08:31:22 UTC 2009

Hi Vikram,

2009/9/12 Vikram Dhillon <dhillonv10 at>:
> This is a quite rough draft basically talking about what I need to write in the documentation:
> Explaining Gnome display properties -
> talk about
> talk about screen refresh rate
> talk about screen resolution
> The X.Org project provides an open source implementation of the X Window System. The X Window System (commonly X or X11) is a computer software system and network protocol that provides a graphical user interface (GUI) for computers. It implements the X display protocol and provides windowing on raster graphics (bitmap) computer displays and manages keyboard and pointing device control functions. In its standard distribution, it is a complete, display and human interface solution, but also delivers a standard toolkit and protocol stack for building graphical user interfaces on most Unix-like operating systems and has been ported to many other contemporary general purpose operating systems. Desktop environments such as GNOME, KDE, and Xfce, use the X Window System. More information about contributing or support can be found on the home page:

This is a little verbose, the first and second sentance say the same
thing, so I'd remove the second.

Really, little more than a cursory explanation of Xorg and a link is needed.

> Screen Refresh Rate:
> The screen refresh rate is the number of times in a second that display hardware draws the data. The refresh rate is expressed in hertz so a refresh rate of 75 means the image is refreshed 75 times in a second. The refresh rate for each display depends on the video card used. You can change the refresh rate by going into System - Preferences - Display. However, if you change the refresh rate to a setting that the display or video card cannot support, the display goes blank or the image becomes distorted. This whole discussion doesn't really apply to LCD's which are most common now-a-days because of their presence in laptops and such. Some other features of gnome-display-manager are detection of more than one monitors so dual monitoring system can be used. Also this is the place where you can change the refresh rate. It will also tell you the specs such 15" monitor and so on

You mention where to change refresh rate twice. Again, it's a bit
verbose and the discussion style will be difficult to translate. There
is a styleguide on the team wiki

Essenttially, you could just say what refresh rate is, that its a
function of CRT mainly, and where to change it.

> Screen Resolution:
> The term resolution refers to the sharpness and clarity of an image. For monitors however, the screen resolution signifies the number of dots (pixels) on the entire screen. For example, a 640-by-480 pixel screen is capable of displaying 640 distinct dots on each of 480 lines, or about 300,000 pixels. This is also another feature supported by your graphics card: the better the graphics card is the higher the resolution you can get out of it.

It's also dependent on the monitor - best to mention that before
people look for solutions based around a perceived card issue.

Dougie Richardson
dougierichardson at