introduction to programming

Yevgeniy Falko yevgeniyfalko at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 11:13:24 UTC 2009

Hi Phil and Vikram,

I mentioned on bug #414035 that I had some ideas about merging the
system documentation section "Writing Your Own Programs" with the
community wiki. Sorry it took so long to reply. Further apologies if
this email does not appear within the thread.

Below is the "Writing Your Own Programs" outline with my suggestions.
These fit the topics together without reorganising the Programming
page, which may still need to be done. Wiki page names are provided
within brackets. For clarification, chapter numbers refer only to text
belonging to that chapter and not sub-chapters. For example, 1. refers
to text below 1. but not section 1.1.

Please have a look and let me know what you think. Hopefully some
input can be provided where I've raised questions.

1. Learning how to program: Not required.
1.1. Dive Into Python:  merge with
[Signpost/Answers#help-learn-programming-new].
1.2. PyGTK Tutorial: merge with [Signpost/Answers#help-learn-programming-new].
1.3. Devhelp: create new page linked under [Programming] in new
section called Documentation.

2. C and C++: merge with [InstallingCompilers#Installing the GNU C
compiler and GNU C++ compiler].
2.1. Anjuta IDE for GNOME: create new page Anjuta under
[Programming#Development Environments].

3. Java: merge with [InstallingCompilers#Installing the GNU Java compiler].
3.1. Installation: merge with [InstallingCompilers#Installing the GNU
Java compiler].
3.1.1. JDK 1.5: merge with [InstallingCompilers#Installing the GNU
Java compiler].
3.1.2. JDK 1.6: merge with [InstallingCompilers#Installing the GNU
Java compiler].

3.2. Hello World: Not sure, may not be required.

3.3. Integrated Development Environments: Not required.
3.3.1. Eclipse IDE for Java: merge with [EclipseIDE]
3.3.2. Netbeans: merge with [Netbeans]

4. Other programming languages: Not required.
4.1. Mono .NET development environment: merge with [MonoDevelopmentHowto]
4.2. Gambas graphical BASIC language: create new page linked under
[Programming#Development Environments]

5. Development Tools
5.1. Version control systems: Not required.
5.1.1. Bazaar-NG: merge with [EasyBazaar]. Link under [Programming] in
new section about version control.
5.1.2. Other version control systems: Link [SubversionInstall] (and
maybe new article about CVS) under [Programming] in new section about
version control.

5.2. Other tools: Glade is mentioned in [Gladex]. Should [Gladex] be
linked on [Programming]?