Doc-team members going to UDS?

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Fri Oct 16 16:48:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

I am not on the ubuntu-docs team (I work for Canonical), but I am going
to UDS and am interested in doc topics.

I am hoping to hold a session on 'doctemplate.' This is a 'template'
I've been developing hosted on LP (https://launchpad.net/doctemplate)
that allows one to create new documentation:
 * Whose source is docbook (article or book)
 * That is easily localizable (images, strings)
 * That supports numerous localized outputs: pdf, html (with a
javascript-based UI with a navigation TOC, next/previous buttons, etc),
docbook
 * All controlled by a few simple and well-documented make commands.
 * Optional installation with package installation such that it is
registered with rarian for display in yelp.
 * String localization can be done in LP in a straightforward manner.

The idea is to make it 'easy' to add new documentation to an existing
package, in a standard way, or to create a standalone doc
package/project. Also, to work towards better documentation integration
with LP, for example:
 * Performing image localization from the LP translations UI
 * A "Documentation" tab for LP projects
 * Documentation permission structure and assignment (like language groups)
 * Documentation display in the LP project.

More details here:
https://blueprints.edge.launchpad.net/doctemplate/+spec/main

The proposed topic is listed here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityTeam/UDS

Hope to see you there!