Open Week - another docs day?

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 18:27:21 UTC 2009

Hi Augustina,

On Sat, 2009-10-03 at 12:14 -0700, Augustina Blair wrote:
> Recently I've been dialoguing with a few new contributors and I've had
> a lot of advice to offer regarding the writing process. I wouldn't
> mind doing a session on how to get started with writing a document and
> tips for editing existing documents. I have no idea how these should
> be organized and I've never done anything like this.
>
> The talk would basically cover what you need to do before writing a
> technical document. Rather than just diving in and shooting from the
> hip, how to set everything up before you write a single word to ensure
> the docs meet the audiences' needs.
>
> The talk would cover:
> - Defining your audience (personas)
> - Define the goal of the document
> - Define use cases (what tasks can the user complete using this
> documentation)
> - Writing an outline
> - Researching the issue (searching the forums or talking with other
> teams)
> - working with the doc team (post a draft to personal wiki and then
> post to the team for review).

That would be great! I think it's important that we get this sort of
thing written down for new contributors to look at before they start
writing. A couple of OpenWeek sessions would produce some useful
material.

On a related note, here's a draft document [1] on persona development
and task analysis that I wrote for someone earlier in the week.

Thanks,

Phil

[1] - http://philbull.googlepages.com/TaskAnalysisandPersonaDevelopment.odt

--