Proposed string freeze exceptions

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 3 22:53:29 UTC 2009

Matthew East wrote:
> Hi,
>
> As usual right after string freeze our translators and other
> eagle-eyed bug reporters have picked up some errors in the
> documentation. In these cases I think they deserve to be fixed. It is
> pretty early in the freeze so shouldn't prejudice translations - there
> is still plenty of time to get them translated. The bugs I propose
> should be fixed are:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/441315
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/414287
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/441323
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/441460
>
> As per https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationStringFreeze please voice
> any objections asap! Otherwise I'll take care of them. Also feel free
> to suggest any others.

Hi Matthew,

I filed bug 437446 [1] last weekend regarding the absence of Grub2
documentation in Karmic.  I believe that Grub2 will be default on all
fresh installs of Karmic, though upgraded systems will keep their
previous Grub version.  While I don't think we should try to push full
documentation on Grub2 into Karmic this late in the game, I believe it
would be valuable to add some mention of Grub2 in key areas of the
system docs, if only to prevent users from getting confused when trying
to change Grub configuration, but not knowing that Grub2 is different.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs/+bug/437446

-Connor