Problem with documentation translations

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sat Oct 3 13:21:03 UTC 2009

On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Milo Casagrande <milo at casagrande.name> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> during the today Global Jam, we found a possible error in the
> packaging of ubuntu-docs, in particular in the internet/ section.
>
> If we do an `ls -la` of /usr/share/gnome/help/internet/LANG/ the file
> faq.xml is pointing to `../am/faq.xml`, which does not exists. That
> file should point to
> /usr/share/gnome/help-langpack/internet/LANG/faq.xml. We've tested it
> with the "it", "es" and "ja" LANG.
>
> Who should this information be forwarded to?

This looks to be an issue caused by the combination of the
symlink-dupes script in ubuntu-docs which uses symlinks for files
which are identical (in this case, faq.xml in several languages is
identical because it is untranslated and appears in English) and the
pkgbinarymangler work that Martin Pitt did to move documentation
translations into the langpacks. Possibly because Martin's work uses
symlinks too, there seems to be some kind of conflict.

Milo, please file a bug report on ubuntu-docs if you have a moment.
Martin - any ideas about solving this?

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org