John Haitas Introduction

John Haitas jhaitas at gmail.com
Thu May 7 22:52:18 UTC 2009

Hi Phil,

I started by posting build instructions for WebKit and Chromium at
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/WebKit and
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/Chromium respectively. I have since
redirected Chromium to http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Build. I am trying to
become a member of the chromium-project to help improve their documentation.

I have realised that build instructions aren't exactly what average users
need so perhaps my efforts were somewhat unneeded there. I did, however,
learn a lot about the standard terminology and style guidelines - which will
be useful moving forward.

I have since assumed control of
http://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLABbecause it was very much
outdated. I will work to improve that page because
I know MATLAB inside and out.

I would like to contribute where ever help is needed and prove myself to be
a valuable asset to the Documentation Team. I am proud to be a part of the
Ubuntu project and want to prove my worth.

Let me know if there are any low hanging fruit I can help address in the
short term as I learn more about the Documentation Team's procedure.

--------

I'd like to add to my previous email that I am a computer programmer in a
neuroscience laboratory at Vanderbilt University in Nashville, TN (hence my
MATLAB knowledge). The relevance here is that I am interested in improving
Ubuntu's documentation for scientists - to make it more accessible for
scientist.

Furthermore, I am interested in SciPy (python-scipy) and NumPy
(python-numpy), as well as Matplotlib (python-matplotlib). I would like to
port the data analysis software we use in the lab to Python. I believe
scientist in particular can benefit from free Open Source software.
Currently the lab I work it is too dependent of proprietary closed source
software.

I hope this information is useful for you towards understanding my areas of
knowledge.

Cheers,
John

--