newtoubuntu docs

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Thu May 7 14:36:42 UTC 2009

Hi guys,

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 10:11 +0100, kelvin at mbmn.net wrote:
> I don't have a strong opinion on including or linking to the "Switching
> from ..." guides. But, again I understand care is needed not to duplicate
> work.

Just to clarify, the Installation Guide and the improved "New to
Ubuntu?" sections will *replace* the Switching guide. The Switching
guide is dead [1], so no-one should be linking to it.

Kelvin, your suggestions for the structure of New to Ubuntu look really
good [2]. I think that section 4 (Moving from another operating system)
needs a well-defined brief, derived from research into common switching
problems. Otherwise, absolutely anything that is remotely to do with
switching will eventually end up in there (cf any switching guide ever
written, e.g. [3]) and it will be unusable. An FAQ format might be the
most suitable way to cover that section while avoiding sprawl.

> Would it be a good idea to create a wiki page to put the current ideas on,
> along with who is going to work on what ( as number of people have
> expressed interest in working on this).

Definitely.

Thanks,

Phil