Easy way to request documentation

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Thu May 7 14:20:37 UTC 2009

Hi Jim,

On Wed, 2009-05-06 at 12:11 -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:
> I was thinking . . . in the longer term, would there be any way for us
> to get some kind of summary data about requests to the Launchpad
> Answers application?  That way we would be able to get data about what
> people actually ask about, rather than what people just submit to
> Brainstorm.

It's useful to get both. I take your point that Brainstorm is
susceptible to people filing requests which seem like a good idea but
don't fulfil any actual need. However, only certain "types" of user file
requests on LP Answers. Many people will see a lack of documentation and
go Googling rather than actively asking for support. Brainstorm should
allow us to discover some of their requirements.

On the topic of summarising LP Answers requests: I have a searchable
database of questions which have been asked on the #ubuntu IRC channel.
It's ~2GB in size and I don't have a webserver that I could put a
frontend to it on, but if anyone wants me to run any queries on it
locally then please let me know. I've been using it to analyse word
frequencies (e.g. 12% of all questions about "installation" also mention
"partitioning").

Thanks,

Phil

--