Best wiki engines or tools for wiki-to-docbook conversions?

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Wed May 6 15:36:20 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 9:49 AM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at gmail.com> wrote:

> Sorry for top posting windows mobile phone....
>

> Submitting plain text files is how I started working on kubuntu docs in the
> first place and someone converted them for me and the applied them to svn.
>  I think pushing more for this way of doing things is better then spendoing
> time looking for a new wiki tool
>

> Jj

Thanks, Jonathan. This is more focused on the Xfce documentation (not even
the Xubuntu documentation . . . ). The Xfce team is looking at approaches to
get their docs updated in an easier fashion than what they've used
previously. I just copied in the Ubuntu doc team to see what ideas people
had.

Because their translation demands are not as great as a project like GNOME
or KDE, they are now leaning toward using reStructuredText + Sphinx for
their documentation, and not using a wiki > docbook tool. We'll be drafting
up some samples documents this weekend to see if it is a feasible approach
for the group.

I know Richard has piped in with some comments in this regard, but if others
have any other suggestions at this point . . . feel free to share them.
Thanks,

Jim