Best wiki engines or tools for wiki-to-docbook conversions?

Richard JOHNSON nixternal at ubuntu.com
Tue May 5 21:39:14 UTC 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 11:11:10AM -0500, Jim Campbell wrote:
[...]
> With that in mind, in your experience, what open-source wiki engines (if
> any) provide the best output to docbook? If you can't think of any, what
> tools may provide the best means of converting wiki text to docbook?  The
> team currently uses dokuwiki as their wiki engine, but they are not tied to
> this.  Also, if you can think of an alternate workflow that may work better,
> please feel free to suggest that, too.

As for wiki tools, I have tried them all, even tried it out today and I
will say that even with Tidy it still isn't pretty. It would be great for
the person doing the writing to Wiki but a hell of a lot more difficult for
the person who has to do the converting. For 4 years now we have watched
super slow progress on Wiki->DocBook on various Wiki systems, and if I
remember correctly, both Matthew and I helped with one of the first
versions with a Google Summer of Code student.

Honestly, you want to make it easy for people to contribute without having
to learn DocBook, rST is it, and you saw the presentation put on by the
Python people this past weekend. As long as you don't hear "well don't
subject your possible contributors to any kind of markup." If you hear
that, then just accept plain text or even ODF files and manually convert
later. rST has super easy markup, if that is what you want to call it, and
converting it to DocBook or any other format is pretty good.

--
 Name|  Richard JOHNSON
Title|  Developer
Email|  nixternal at ubuntu.com
GnuPG|  9554 2BCC 3AA2 3898 0939  56E7 3EC9 A39D 2E2C 0124