Do we support enabling the root account?

Phil Bull philbull at gmail.com
Sat Mar 7 11:17:16 UTC 2009

Hi Connor,

2009/3/7 Connor Imes <rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com>:
> I think the info should be removed, there is already an explanation at
> the top of the page as to why we use sudo and not root.  We can
> certainly expand on this as needed.  If we take this approach, a more
> official note should be added to the page telling users not to add info
> on enabling the root account, and sign it as left by the Documentation
> Team as official direction.  This page may need a bit of an overhaul,
> which I would be happy to do with the team's approval.

I think that we should document this, but provide a strong, justified
warning to discourage users from actually enabling the root account.
I'd rather that users get the information from us, where they will be
properly informed about the security risk, than from a third-party
website, where they may not. If they read the warnings and still
decide to enable root, anything that goes wrong is their own fault and
there's not much we can do about it.

Thanks,

Phil

--