Proposal for change in bug management practice

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Sun Mar 1 22:37:33 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I'd like to propose a change in our bug handling policies.

One problem we've always had is that bugs are reported both on the
ubuntu-doc Launchpad project, as well as on the {k/x/ed/}ubuntu-docs
packages on the Ubuntu project.

The main disadvantage of this is that bugs are found in two different
places rather than one and we have to search in both places for bugs,
and point new contributors to two sets of bug lists.

I think the solution to this is to move to holding all of our bugs in
the various packages in the Ubuntu project, and set the ubuntu-doc
project not to track bugs. This was suggested recently by one of the
Launchpad bug developers here:

https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/60937

The potential disadvantage is that it will be slightly artificial to
file bugs which pertain to the website or the wiki on an Ubuntu
package, where those bugs do not appear in Ubuntu. But I think the
benefits of the simple solution outweigh this considerably. It will
have a couple of other side-benefits too: we can close bugs
automatically using the changelog entries when packages are uploaded
(not currently possible with bugs on the separate project) and we can
open multiple bug tasks where a particular bug affects more than one
distribution.

What do people think about this idea? I don't want to change the
subscription policy, so everyone in the ~ubuntu-core-docs group would
keep receiving bugmail as before.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org