Call for Contributors

Avi Hein avihein at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 10:42:24 UTC 2009

I'm thrilled to see Phil's initiative to create an installation guide for
Ubuntu and its supported derivatives. It's a great example of why I am
excited about Ubuntu and will definitely increase Ubuntu penetration due to
the good documentation that will result.

I would like to apply to be one of the technical writers for the team. I am
a certified technical writer, and have previously written an Ubuntu
installation guide for Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex). I have also installed
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, and Xubuntu in various computing environments
(virtualization under Windows XP and Windows 7 beta, single booting, dual
booting, and Wubi). In addition, I have authored a style guide, worked with
existing guides, and reviewed other style guides. Most importantly, as a
professional technical writer, I bring professional standards in the
technical communication industry to the table.

In addition, while I am a native English speaker, I'm currently residing
outside of the United States. This ensures a natural concern for issues of
localization and translation.

I have past experience writing for web-based applications, and have created
functional specifications documentation, documented wireframes, and written
a variety of online content. I have also helped companies like Check Point
Software Technologies migrate their documentation to the latest tools for
print and online help.

My work has been recommended by other technical writers and project
managers. You can see some recommendations via my LinkedIn page at
http://www.linkedin.com/in/avramhein (where I am also a member of Ubuntu
Users group) if you are within my network. One manager at Check Point noted
that my "drive to do well ensures quality output." Another senior technical
writer noted that I "brought above average technical expertise and a keen
desire to learn." A supervisor at Ruder Finn (a public relations firm, where
I worked) noted that I am "a very hard worker and a wonderful writer." I
bring these testimonials not as self-promotion, as I look forward to
learning from the rest of the Ubuntu team members, but simply to provide
some testimonial of my credentials in technical writing and strategic
communication.

I am passionate about Ubuntu's mission to bring Linux to the desktop and the
masses. I hope to be able to contribute to the team and the Ubuntu
community.

Thank you,

Avi Hein, avihein at gmail.com