more, Ubiquity Slideshow for Ubuntu

mac_v drkvi-a at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 17 05:18:33 UTC 2009

Jonathan Jesse wrote:

>Google and the help system take care
> of these very well.

You are looking at this the wrong way...

Why are they checking google? since the documentation is not very
hepful. Rather than saying someone else is doing our job well, I think
we need to Be better at helping the user rather than google....

I do understand that the slideshow doesnt need to be a help system, But
needs to point to the documentation . And the documentation needs to be
done better.

> We are making a HUGE assumption here about our user base.  Unfortunately
> I would bet 90% don't use the help system they turn to Google instead.
> The same is going to happen with this slideshow, most will skip, most
> will never use and most will turn to Google if they have any problems.

You are right the XP slideshow is very irritating, that is because, as
someone has already pointed it out, it takes the tone of a salesman.

We need to provide a slideshow which is both attractive and informative
and creates interest in the user to actually sit through the whole process.

Cheers,
mac_v

Offtopic:
I'm not sure if this is possible, but would it be possible to provide
the documentation online too in the same structure and format as the one
built into the system, apart from the wiki, and maybe the slideshow
could point here rather than the forums? Why this would be nice is, we
could use the http://start.ubuntu.com/9.10/, to search this
documentation first.