more, Ubiquity Slideshow for Ubuntu

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 16 18:36:59 UTC 2009

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 12:38 PM, H S<perhapspink at gmail.com> wrote:
> What a great discussion!  I'm happy to be a part of it.
>
> After reading all the comments, here are some of my thoughts:
>

> * When the user ends the slideshow, it should show one last closing slide.
> That slide should mention how the user can locate the slideshow after they
> boot into their new system.  It should also remind users of the permanent
> documentation that is on the system.
>
> * For bookmarking slides, I like the idea of clicking on a little star for
> "remind me about this later!".  I think that is far better than requiring
> the user to go grab pen and paper, which seems kinda clunky to me.
>
> * I still say the slides are too small.  They show much a small portion of
> the screens to which they refer, that only a seasoned Ubuntu user would
> recognize them.  Instead of 3 slides per page, just use one or two, and make
> them larger, so we can at least recognize what they are showing.  Also, we
> can take a page from the Apple notebook here:  minimalism.   Less is more.
>
> * As for slideshow pausing, you're using Scriptaculous, right?  I just
> Googled "Scriptaculous slideshow pause", and found
> http://www.magentocommerce.com/boards/viewthread/14895/ Here is one for
> jQuery: http://malsup.com/jquery/cycle/  They support pause-on-hover.
>
> * I beg your pardon if I am taking this out of context, but your comment
> about the accessibility slide being "boring" seems uncalled for.  That is
> the same slide which states, "At the core of the Ubuntu philosophy is the
> belief that computing is for everyone and access should be free and complete
> whatever your economic or physical circumstances."  I don't understand why
> you would single this slide out for ridicule.
>
> * I rarely read the release notes, so I think a "what's new" slide would be
> great.  We're talking one slide here.  Surely something could be put
> together without causing complete panic, no?  It doesn't need to include
> every little thing, just the big changes.
>
> * Q: Should the slideshow also be used to give the user a 'heads up' to what
> portions of the install process still lay ahead, what questions and
> decisions they could be thinking about, etc.?  If we include these slides,
> they should appear in the install slideshow only, and not on the permanent
> slideshow that resides on the installed system.
>
> * Q: Should the slideshow direct people to a community-maintained webpage
> (therefore not officially-sanctioned) which lists popular and/or recommended
> post-install procedures (eg. choosing a local repository, running important
> security updates, and then possibly such things as installing
> ubuntu-restricted-extras, enabling commercial DVD playback, etc.)  I think
> some of these things are very important for new users to be made aware of.
>
> * Also include the finished slideshow (in the examples folder, or wherever
> you decide) on a system installed with the Alternate Install CD.  The people
> who install with the Alternate CD won't see the slideshow during their
> [...]

This is a good discussion, but could we move the suggestions for the
project implementation details to a wiki page?

What we're working through here appears to be part of a blueprint in
Launchpad + a spec on the wiki.  Having it on the wiki would make it
easier for people to see what all is being proposed than having to
read through several dozen emails on the mailing list, especially for
people who may not be subscribed to the list.

I don't mean for this to come off as me stifling the discussion about
this . . . I just think that the Specs provide a good outline of items
to be considered, and these items could be included as part of that
framework.

Jim