more, Ubiquity Slideshow for Ubuntu

Dougie Richardson dougierichardson at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 16 17:26:54 UTC 2009

Hi all,

I think that my position here is fairly clear,  a slideshow drawing
attention to Ubuntu's features and where to get help is a good idea.
To make it everything to everyone is not possible.

If user's are having this much trouble with items such as the menu
structure and the desktop then we as a community need to revisit the
affordance of the interface, not argue over explaining the current
system.

Lastly, as is always the case, this is all entirely subjective,
anecdotal evidence.  We simply do not have accurate information on
who/where/when and what new users are struggling with.  Now we can run
off and convert the slideshow into the hub of all documentation and we
could go out and re-write the current documentation to focus on tasks
but if that's based on conjecture it could be a total waste of time.

What we need is to conduct research.  Phil and I have discussed
solutions to this issue based on bug reports, forum posts and
questions but haven't started to implement anything.

We're making a lot of assumptions about our user base - that they're
all proficient in Windows is the biggest, if they don't know what the
start button is then there is no point in describing our system in
comparison!

--
Regards,

Dougie Richardson