more, Ubiquity Slideshow for Ubuntu

mac_v drkvi-a at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 15 20:43:12 UTC 2009

Dougie Richardson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> 2009/6/15 mac_v <drkvi-a at yahoo.com>:
>> Something Like a "Familiarize yourself to Ubuntu" menu item in the
>> System menu:
>
> If the user is having difficulties finding their way around the menu
> structure then they are unlikely to look under System for a guide.
> Would that not be better suited to an icon on the desktop?  After all
> the circumstance we're discussing is a new user presented with a clean
> desktop wanting to know what to do next - is an icon on the desktop
> saying something like "New to Ubuntu? Start here!" not more intuitive?

Maybe I wasnt clearer :

Since the slideshow is the first greeter, the user either views the show
or chooses view later , wherein he will be informed of the location of
the menu option.

But i like the icon idea too.

> This to some degree already exists in the now abandoned switching from
> Windows guide.

where is it? Do you mean the wiki guide? That is online documentation,
There need to be something offline residing in the system.

  Feedback would suggest that this information wasn't as
> asked for as we thought it was, which makes me wonder if the problem
> with new users isn't one of interface design rather than
> documentation.  A UI should offer affordance, which if new users are
> struggling to find things isn't being provided.

Most non-tech users dont want to read a lot of documentations, an
Interactive slideshow , explaining/showing how things by using
animations/short clips , with the most minimal number of words is the
most effective.

Uptil now linux has been more for hobbyists/techs/users with atleast
minimal gadget awareness, but to reach out to the most non-tech
users[especially elder populations] things need more UI and minimal words.

>> To sum up the slideshow needs to the first thing the user is greeted
>> with in the new system, *so that even a non-technical user can install*
>> and *start using the fresh system with no help whatsoever* .
>
> I'm still unclear as to internationalisation.  How do we propose to
> handle translating this, especially as it is expanding to cover
> information from other operating systems.

1: This is why slideshow needs to be more user interaction driven rather
than just a timed slideshow.Allowing the slideshow to continue at a
timed speed is not ideal, not everyone in well versed with english/any
other native language, some take time to read even their own native
language either due to vision problems/literacy levels.

To prevent this the slides need to progress only when the user clicks
"next". i find that the latest version has this. pls maintain it.

But before the user goes into the present section, a previous dialogue
should ask the user "new to ubuntu?" if yes, then ask which system he
has used previously "Windows/Apple" and then proceed to the respective
section ... if no then the present slideshow could be used.

2: The information *must* be in sections , not every user is interested
in all the details. If section titles are clear and simple, the user
views only the details he is interested in. [this is because some users
might not want details about watching movies/ while some dont want info
about powerpoint software].

3: the information regarding other systems is because , right now Ubuntu
is not a major OS, not many people come to Ubuntu directly and use it as
the first OS. Since there are quite a few who are not able to find their
way[for example the freak "student" who didnt attend college and
returned her ubuntu laptop since she didnt have powerpoint software!].
there are a lot of such people, especially the non-tech users really
struggle to even realize that Windows is just an OS and other linux
programs will do the same workload as windows.

The stuff about other OS needs to be minimal... like example: If the MY
computer is windows is the same as Computer or Applications is same as
programs. {might sound silly to us ,but people do ask!}.
 Everything cannot be provided interactively , but there needs to be a
search box sort of a thing where the user enters what they are looking
for and then point to it... [example user searches"Control Panel">
Result shows the image of the panel system menu expanded showing that
all the system settings reside here.]

The task is identifying the common words windows users are familiar with.

The present slideshow is really just catering to existing Ubuntu users,
just as brownie points, merely to say we have a slideshow....and might
bore the users familiar with ubuntu,
 *Its structured more like an advertisement * , rather than a tour.

It in no way achieves what it is meant to do> familiarize the new users
with ubuntu. It just kinda says we have all these things... But where?
[It says about the add/remove programs but doesnt show how to access it!]

 the slideshow should be more like how you would explain to a new user
how to use Ubuntu. Most non-tech windows users when they switch to
Ubuntu need to be taught to "walk" , they need to be hand guided! So
when you think in those terms of educating the new users the slideshow
must be structured like that.

I understand that this is a *huge undertaking* , But a few providing the
slideshow as of now , and later expanding it to a version1.0 status will
take a long time... may not even by the time of karmic, but betting the
basic things in first before karmic should be the goal.

I'd like to restate that the present slides, just seem like a Ubuntu
flash advert of the features.
 Slides need to be more informative with less words and animated to be
expressive... have animated .gif's or similar been considered?

Cheers,
mac_v