Ubiquity Slideshow for Ubuntu

Jonathan Jesse jjesse at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 15:14:34 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 11:08 AM, Dylan McCall <dylanmccall at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 6:50 AM, Milo Casagrande<milo at casagrande.name>
> wrote:
> > 2009/6/12  <yann_ubuntu-1 at yahoo.fr>:
> >>

> >> Hi Dylan. Very good idea this slideshow !
> >> I am just wondering:
> >> - how/where can I help to translate it?  (there are texts and
> screenshots to translate.)
> >> - how translated versions will be included in the live-session?
> >
> > I'm also wondering if it is going to get into the Live CD. If it is,
> > from my POV, it needs to be translated, maybe with html2po, but it
> > need to be addressed in some way.
> >
> > Ciao.
>
> Certainly :)
>
> That has been sadly glossed over so far, but not forgotten! There'll
> be translation infrastructure in place, hopefully some time in the
> next few weeks. Indeed, html2po is ever handy.
>
> Ubiquity does this with a layer on top of GetText, where for each bit
> of text the command get_string (from il8n.py) is called. We don't
> really have that capacity in HTML land - at least not without paying
> in severe headaches.
> It strikes me as nicely possible that we could actually generate
> different .html files for each translation, (eg:
> software-updates.html.fr), then have some javascript in Slideshow.html
> to pick the right ones. This could be done via po2html with a build
> script, or by Ubiquity into /tmp right before it opens the slideshow.
> The .html files are extremely small (measured in bytes), so that
> shouldn't harm anything and could leave the door open for cool
> per-locale details through HTML.
> Naturally, the actual translation process could still be done with
> good old .po files for the sake of easy workflow through Launchpad.
>
> That's close to my next task, in tandem with Ubiquity calling
> Javascript functions in the slideshow document it is displaying.
>
> The slideshow is presently Ubuntu specific, but will be packaged
> ("next couple weeks" line pops up again) in a way that allows another
> parallel package to easily replace it. Ubiquity looks for a slideshow
> in a specific place, and that place would be the same whether you have
> a Kubuntu or Ubuntu or Xubuntu one installed. Ugly, but it should
> work.
>

> Thanks,
> Dylan McCall
>
> PS: Not sure if I'll be pushing this change soon since I'm a tad busy,
> but there's a file called slides/MenuTest.html that demonstrates my
> attempt at subtly showing the user "Hey, this application I'm
> mentioning is in the menu and can be opened by going to..." without
> making a whole line of boring text. It lets a slide introduce an
> application with styling identical to the main menu. I don't have a
> way to test it, really, so do you think this will do what I hope?

Thanks for the update on Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu support.  If someone is not
looking itno doing this for Kubuntu perhaps I could take a stab at it.
Where is the best place to start tracking what is happening on the Ubuntu
side of things so I can reduce the effort to be made for Kubuntu?

Thanks for the response,

JJ