Ubuntu Science Documentation

jhaitas at gmail.com jhaitas at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 17:56:02 UTC 2009

Hi Phil,

I've got the MATLAB (http://help.ubuntu.com/community/MATLAB) updated to cover the latest version. I have received requests to cover specific problems with the install and I have since addressed them. One item of note is that I was contacted by someone on the Octave team requesting that I put a link to the Octave project on the MATLAB page (we had decided in IRC that Octave is not quite a FLOSS analog for MATLAB). I respectfully told him as much and encouraged him to stay in touch, I haven't heard from him since.

I have been dabbling in SciPy, NumPy and Matplotlib. I think it could be worth documenting these packages in a Science or Mathematics section - they seem to be poised to be a very powerful alternative to MATLAB in the not-so-distant future. Do you think it would be worth developing a Science or Mathematics section in the wiki where all of these options and their strengths are presented to the user?

Cheers,
John

--
John Haitas