Installation Guide - FAQ and SysReqs

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 2 13:46:14 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 3:24 AM, Jonathan Jesse <jjesse at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 1, 2009 at 9:32 PM, Jim Campbell <jwcampbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> An install guide seems like a good candidate for content re-use because
>> the installation process is going to be the same from one flavor to another,
>> save a few names and a few screenshots. Perhaps we could just use one doc
>> set, and use entities to build out the different versions?  What do people
>> think about this?
>
> Agreed

Definitely material should be shared. I think that probably the best
way to do this is to work on the document primarily in one place, and
then sync it across to the different flavour, and amend entities to
make things work for each flavour. Assuming that the installation
processes are broadly similar for the flavours, that will work well, I
think.

Alternatively, rather than using entities, we could simply use bzr's
merge features to pull in to a particular flavour those changes that
are made to the "main" version of the document which are relevant to
that flavour, and ignore those that aren't. This is a rather more
complex method, in terms of practicalities, I think, but it is
definitely worth considering if the guide is likely to deviate in any
significant respects from one flavour to another.

Before any plan is finalised, we need to answer some basic questions
about how the guide will be used. For example, will it be included in
the basic Ubuntu installation (e.g. in yelp or khelpcenter), or will
it be shipped in a separate package which is only present on the
livecd and not in the desktop installation (a bit like the
ubuntu-serverguide package is split into a separate package). If the
latter, is it desirable to keep it in the same source package or
branch as ubuntu-docs, or to have its own branch and source package?
I'd tend to say that it should be in the same source package.

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org