USERNAME

Andrew Sayers andrew-bugs.launchpad.net at pileofstuff.org
Sun Jul 26 10:28:50 UTC 2009

Phil Bull wrote:
<snip>

> I'm interested in the security implications of this. How are you going
> to deal with sudo, or obfuscated code?

My current plan for 'sudo', 'rm -f', '/dev/hda1' and so on is to print a
warning (see attached).  When there's more than one hint/warning, I'm
thinking of making the user click through each message before they're
allowed to run/save the script.  In the particular case of 'sudo', the
script will always run 'sudo -k' (to force the user to type a password)
when the script starts.

I can't think of any good solution for obfuscated code within the scope
of a Firefox plugin, so I wasn't even going to try.  I'd like to hear
suggestions, but my instinct is to make this more of a tool that teaches
good habits, rather than a safety net that obviates the need to think
for yourself.

	- Andrew