Request for comments about the Ubuntu Signpost

Andrew Sayers andrew-bugs.launchpad.net at pileofstuff.org
Sun Jul 19 18:39:21 UTC 2009

Hi Phil,

Thanks for the feedback.

I should point out that, despite constantly going on about the
importance of evidence, the "Flowq" page is itself based on very little
evidence, so I expect parts of it to be rewritten as time goes by and
evidence rolls in.  For example, I'm starting to think that questions
should be weighted in favour of asking impatient people fewer questions.

About flowcharts - the page is a bit misleading about this, but I don't
think the flowchart needs to be a tree.  If users sometimes go down path
P expecting answer A, and sometimes go down path Q expecting answer A,
then answer A should be available in both P and Q.  If supermarket
shelves were stocked on the same principle, I would be a happy man.

I like the filtering model - less like a flowchart, more like a game of
20 questions.  I don't see any way to do this with Ubuntu's current web
offerings, but it would be interesting to look at an IRC bot that could
answer support questions like this, being taught answers as time went
on.  I'd be willing to put some time into writing up the bot for this,
if you could get other people interested in doing the legwork on
teaching it.

As to the splitting, rebalancing, importance etc. - these are things
we'll have to work out based on the evidence.  I write shell scripts to
automate most things I do, and I don't expect this to be an exception.
I'd rather not be responsible for a whole new website though, and
getting the stuff implemented as macros in HUC would take a long time.

About FAQs and NAQLAs - it seems that HUC's built-in system for
monitoring page usage is broken ("page hits and edits" on the "info"
pages just hangs and eventually gives a proxy error).  It also seems
like page hits are being reported to Google Analytics.  If either data
set were available to us mortals, it would be a lot easier to tell which
Qs were being frequently A'd.

One last point I'd like to make is that the probability of user error in
a Flowq is, by definition, nil.  So anyone that comes to the forum
asking a question is by definition filing a bug report.  I expect this
will lead to a Flowq that's a horrific mess and doesn't promote
"important" questions to any great degree, but will hopefully be more
usable for it.

	- Andrew