USERNAME

Dean Sas dean at deansas.org
Sun Jul 12 00:47:47 UTC 2009

Dougie Richardson wrote:
> 2009/7/9 Alan Pope <alan at popey.com>:
>> $USER seems more logical to me.
>>
>> It also has the benefit that you don't have to try to find the
>> backtick on the keyboard.
>
> True but there are other instances where getting people used to the
> back tick would be beneficial such as uname -r.

Making the task the user is trying to complete harder, in order to make
a task they may never have an interest in easier in sounds like
premature optimisation.

Some people seem to have problems with recognising the backtick on
screen and then finding the key once they've realised it is ` not '.
Perhaps $(uname -r) would be better, though I'm just bikeshedding now :)