Manpage Bugs

Dustin Kirkland kirkland at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 27 23:34:15 UTC 2009

Howdy Documenters-

For those looking to contribute to Ubuntu (and in general, to Linux)
documentation, I'm pleased to announce a new vector.

We've previously discussed on this list the Ubuntu Manpage Repository:
 * http://manpages.ubuntu.com/

I have rolled out a new feature, whereby each page has a tiny "bug"
icon near the top.  Such as:
 * http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/jaunty/en/man7/ecryptfs.7.html

Clicking on the bug icon will bring you to a Launchpad page where you
can report a bug against the package providing incorrect manpage
content.  Please file these bugs with:
 * Tags: manpage

For example:
 * https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ecryptfs-utils/+bug/329491

Note also that you can download the source of any given manpage
directly from the manpage-repository webpage.  See the link to
ecryptfs.7.gz:
 * http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages.gz/jaunty/man7/ecryptfs.7.gz

For information about generating a patch, see:
 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/Patches

>From the manpage source, you can correct the manpage documentation,
generate a patch, and attach it to the Launchpad bug.  If you do this,
make sure you:
 1. flag the attachment as a patch
 2. mark the bug as 'In Progress'
 3. assign the bug to yourself
 4. subscribe the appropriate team for uploading
(ubuntu-main-sponsors, ubuntu-universe-sponsors)

And in the interest of being a good Open Source citizen, you should
also forward your patch to the appropriate upstream project and/or
Debian!

Cheers,
--
:-Dustin