Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide

Kyle Nitzsche kyle.nitzsche at canonical.com
Wed Dec 23 16:20:01 UTC 2009

Thomas R. Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-23 at 10:02 -0500, Kyle Nitzsche wrote:
>
>> Hi Benjamin,
>>
>> Instead of OpenOffice as the source format, you might consider
>> single-sourced docbook. When set up properly this allows:
>>
>>  * true single sourcing (content is never duplicated, even for translations)
>>  * easy localization (translations and images - for example screenshots)
>>  * conversion to multiple localized output formats (html, pdf, docbook)
>> with a single command
>>

> Kyle et al
>
> I was not aware of this doctemplate project and had been working on a
> custom build toolkit based on the Novdoc system(Novell Documentation
> Team) that I am familiar with. Thats what i get for not asking around i
> suppose. :(
>
> Have you considered implementing Docbook profiling in your project as
> well as the transformations? This mechanism is a great addition for
> standard documentation authors. It allows for contiguous Docbook
> authoring of a topic for various skill levels.
>
> For instance, two paras can be authored. One for the "general public";
> the other for "developers". A simple argument addition to the build
> process and the resulting document is built for a specific type of user.

Thank you for pointing this out. It looks straightforward to implement.
Perhaps I'll have time to look at this over the holidays.

(Naturally, this sort of thing is supported intrinsically through the
xml/xslt framework (transform an xml file to include just the bits you
want...) But I see that docbook provides a standardized approach (using
attributes and corresponding xslt params/sheets) that covers a
reasonable range of useful profiles/conditions: arch audience condition
conformance lang os revision revisionflag role security status userlevel
vendor wordsize.

One note: one might be tempted to use lang for translations, which, I
think, is a mistake, One should use single-sourced English xml and let
the translations live in po files, else the translated content could
diverge and source files become excessively complicated.

By the way Thomas, please share any and all comments with me about
doctemplate, including usage issues/deficiencies. And please also feel
free to file bugs in lp.net/doctemplate.

Cheers,
Kyle