Ubuntu: A Beginners Guide

Benjamin Humphrey humphreybc at gmail.com
Tue Dec 22 11:19:46 UTC 2009

Hello everyone,

Recently I started up a project to write a manual for Ubuntu that is both
informative and easy to follow. My goal is around 50-75 pages, and perhaps
having two different versions - one in-depth guide that covers pretty much
everything, and one 10 page Quick Start guide, which, in the future, could
be shipped with the Ubuntu CDs.

I began writing it myself, but after deliberation and advice from other
users, it would be better to make it a community effort. The idea is to have
the first release ready for Lucid, and then a refresh every 6 months to
coincide with a new Ubuntu version. Eventually, I hope it becomes the first
point of reference for any Ubuntu newcomers.

We need contributors, and I thought the best place to start would be the
documentation team.

I was talking with Jono Bacon tonight and he suggested the ideal way to go
about testing/feedback/contributions for the manual is via Launchpad. He is
really excited about the idea and is interested to see how it pans out – so
am I.

Therefore, I’ve just created a Launchpad team for the Beginners Manual:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-manual

I’ll set up a bzr tomorrow and upload the .odt and .pdf of what I have so
far (about 3 rough chapters), feel free to download it and start
contributing. Perhaps the best way to do it would be to pick a chapter that
you feel confident in and write something on it – doesn’t have to be big,
just a rough draft and I can add extra stuff when I get there.

I will also try to be on #ubuntu-doc tomorrow for any questions.

If anyone knows anything about LaTeX could they let me know too.

--
Regards,

Benjamin Humphrey
humphreybc