Documentation review and bugs for Lucid

Connor Imes rocket2dmn at ubuntu.com
Sun Dec 13 03:03:11 UTC 2009

Hello documentors,

Sorry for the lengthy email, I'll try to keep it as short as possible.
As most of you already know, the next release of Ubuntu, Lucid Lynx, is
going to be a LTS version.  In support of this, I would like to
encourage you to help us get the system docs [1] up to speed for Lucid.
There are different ways to get involved, especially:
    - reviewing the existing docs for accuracy and filing bug reports
for problems or discrepancies
    - posting patches for existing reports

As we approached the release date for Karmic, we ended up getting a lot
of bug reports, mostly from translators, which were unfortunately too
late to be fixed due to String Freeze. See [2] for the Lucid release
schedule. While a number of these have been fixed, there are still quite
a few outstanding reports.  Even reviewing existing docs and filing new
reports will help us minimize post-string-freeze reports in the future.

I will make my way through the bug list [3] and apply priorities to bugs
which have yet to be triaged so we can get a better idea of what needs
attention.  And hey, don't let me have all the fun - if there are
triagers out there would like to help, I would be much obliged!  If you
are subscribed to doc-bugs, please forgive the resulting email traffic.
Bugs with the "bitesize" or "string-fix" tags are perfect starting
places for new contributors.  I would also like to knock out some of the
older bugs we currently have, so any support on those (esp. from
experienced documentors) would also be greatly appreciated.

If anybody needs help getting started, have a look at [1] and don't
hesitate to ask questions on the mailing list or on IRC in #ubuntu-docs.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation
[2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LucidReleaseSchedule
[3] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-docs

Cheers,