Newbie how to use docbook

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Mon Apr 27 15:26:05 UTC 2009

Hi Saketh,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Saketh Kasibatla <
saketh.kasibatla at yahoo.com> wrote:

>  i have 2 questions...
>
> where can i download the xubuntu docbook source, and is there a docbook to
> html compiler out?

The current docbook source for Xubuntu is available at:

https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-core-doc/xubuntu-docs/xubuntu-karmic

We are having a team meeting this weekend (which I encourage you to
attend!), and we'll be discussing the location of the source on launchpad
during the meeting. So this means that the source's location may change, but
we'll be sure to let you know if it does.

As for the docbook-to-html compiler, the make file, css file, and
xsl-transformation files for building the docbook to html are actually
included in the source files.  I'm not sure of your familiarity with those
aspects of our documentation, but don't be alarmed if they seem foreign to
you. Those are more advanced aspects of documentation work, and they are
even a bit advanced for me at this time.

If you haven't done so already, there is valuable information about some of
this out on our wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocumentationTeam/SystemDocumentation/Checking

Are you on IRC at all? I'm usually on during some of the evening hours (UTC
- 6), and my handle is j1mc. We should find some time to talk.  Thanks!

Jim