Wiki Team Launchpad permissions (was Re: Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation)

Marc Kaplan mk at technomensch.net
Mon Apr 27 00:28:24 UTC 2009

I'm not sure about the six months as being sufficient for the main
documentation branch as I have yet to work on it.

However, I would like to make a proposal and see what everyone thinks.....

I think that perhaps in addition to demonstrating knowledge through
their work, that there be a kind of peer-review panel where the
wiki-admins or active documentation members question the applicant,
similar to an interview or trial of sorts.  For example, when I
contacted Matthew for Wiki Admin access, I know that I had not only
had to demonstrate my understanding our wiki guide (of which I was
helping to improve the structure/organization/flow), but also show my
need for the rights and expressed it/defended it in a logical manner
within the chat room, while he was there.  He made sure my first few
changes were done correctly so I didn't mess up the rest of the wiki.

Think of it this way...If someone is applying to be a higher level
status, their work/knowledge could be put to the test through overseen
assignments under the guidance of someone already in that status to
make sure it is done correctly without abusing their rights.  I guess
this could be what the Documentation Students "should've
been"...maybe?  Or like an apprenticeship?  Or is that too crazy of an
idea?

Marc K.