Abolish flavours

Marc marcdkaplan at gmail.com
Fri Apr 10 14:36:16 UTC 2009

I happen to disagree that this theory would both have to stop using
LiveCDs or require multiple Desktops.  My thought process is that users
would log onto the ubuntu site, customize the distro that they want,
the download and burn the ISO.  This way, users not only have the ISO that
they personally want, but would also have a LiveCD customized the way they
want rather than be restricted to what we choose (we can still offer
"default" versions for beginners).

But, rather than call them "flavors" or different distributions, the
"default" version of Ubuntu would be categorized by the Desktop, with all
the same documentation available.  Essentially, I don't think we should be
splintered.  Personally, I think that's what is wrong with Linux as a
whole, but that's a whole other story and a rant not suitable for this
discussion.

I would love to take it to a convention, but I do not have the time or
money to attend.  However I am developing a proposal that I plan on
posting it on "the planet" blog feed once I'm done.

Yes, I do think this a radical change and definitely not something for the
Docs Team, but with all this talk about the different docs for different
flavors, I thought it was a good opportunity to bring it up and just
throw it out there.

Marc K.