[announcement] apt links on the wiki

Andrew Sayers andrew-bugs.launchpad.net at pileofstuff.org
Fri Apr 10 14:38:21 UTC 2009

A macro that inserts a whole sentence seems good in the common case, but
could be a problem in unusual cases (like the one I mentioned earlier).
  How about  <<Install(foo)>> does the whole sentence, while
<<Install_brief(foo)>> just makes a link?  The long, ugly name would
encourage people only to use it when necessary.  I've been playing
around with some implementations at:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WikiSandBox#Install%20link

I put it up on the wiki so people could play around with it and see if
they can think of something better.  As of the time of writing, the
<<Install()>> macro is:

[[InstallingSoftware#installing-a-package|install the packages]]
''foo'', ''bar'', and ''baz''
[[apt:foo,bar,baz|{{attachment:IconsPage/apt.png|Click here to install
the packages 'foo', 'bar', and 'baz'}}]]

While the <<Install_brief()>> macro is:

[[apt:foo,bar,baz|{{attachment:IconsPage/apt.png|Click here to install
the packages 'foo', 'bar', and 'baz'}}]]

apt.png is just a placeholder that will need to be replaced by something
smaller.  The examples install three packages at once so we can argue
over proper use of commas :)

I would, of course, be happy to do the five minutes of programming if
you're up for the hours of admin-pestering.

	- Andrew