Abolish flavours

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Apr 10 13:46:55 UTC 2009

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 2:28 PM, Marc K. <mk at technomensch.net> wrote:
> This might flow off-topic again, but....

Yes, very! I'm changing the subject heading to start a separate thread
so that the previous thread can be used to discuss the actual issue
that it's about.

> Shouldn't "Ubuntu" just BE the distro?  This may sound radical, but instead
> of making a distinction between the flavors when the ISO is downloaded, why
> can't it just be customized on installation, or even customize the ISO
> online first?

Your proposal, as I understand it, is to abolish flavours such as
Kubuntu, Xubuntu and so on, in favour of a single product, Ubuntu.
Obviously that proposal goes a long way beyond the documentation, and
into the territory of how the different desktops available for the
ubuntu base package are marketed and produced. On that basis it's not
an issue for the documentation mailing list, but for the developer and
marketing communities.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the current setup is so
heavily ingrained and invested in that it's impossible to change.
Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Xubuntu and so on have been marketed as separate
products for so long now that there is no realistic prospect of any
reversal of that practice. There would no doubt also be serious
technical issues with changing the setup. I also happen to think that
from a marketing point of view, the current setup is the right thing
to do.

But if you want to push the idea, you need to take it to an Ubuntu
development conference and try and convince Mark :)

--
Matthew East
http://www.mdke.org