[announcement] apt links on the wiki

Jim Campbell jwcampbell at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 9 19:27:22 UTC 2009

Hi All,

This morning I wrote a blog post about the apt-urls on the wiki, and Jef
Spaleta from the Fedora Project left the following comment.

Just an FYI:
Packagekit developers have developed a packagekit browser plugin which does
something similar.
If/when Ubuntu moves to Packagekit you should be aware of  how the
Packagekit browser plugin works so as to make an assessment of how to handle
the migration of the wiki urls in an coordinated manner with a transition to
PackageKit.

And more forward looking, you might be interested in the recent discussion
about how to take SuSE's one-click-install concept and apply it to the
distribution-neutral PackageKit platform so that people can also easily
install new repositories as well as packages from configured repositories.
Something ppa creators and consumers might be interested in as a technology.

I think his comment is a bit more developer-focused, but I thought I would
pass it along to this group, just so we can be aware that some changes would
need to be made in the wikis if we ever transition to PackageKit.

Jim