Proposal: Create product for each derivative's documentation

Dougie Richardson dougierichardson at ubuntu.com
Wed Apr 8 12:53:08 UTC 2009

If we split to seperate packages we need to be vigilant to ensure bugs
reported against a daughter project (say Xubuntu) that affect everyone
are moved to core-doc.

I have to say that too my mind I prefer a more object oriented
approach because it makes sense in my mind - the docs we all share at
the core shared across different interface types. Ultimately, as
writing for UNR has shown - the determining difference for the user is
the interface they are faced with.

It seems likely that in many instances, the only difference is the
menu item to click (say Firefox which is in all the distributions) so
the only seperate package code should be a different entity file. I'm
assuming entities are a DocBook property and not a Yelp property or
this is a spurious argument!

The other issue is that with such a large amount of code to maintain
across packages we would need to have very strict standards as to
layout and so forth in order for interoperabilty.

I'm not sure that team fragmentation is in an issue. I think we're all
fairly aware that Matthew is in charge and really, how closely do we
all work? I tend to do Internet, Adam does Server Guide, Jim does
Xubuntu, etc...

In all honesty, it doesn't affect my workflow. That said if it
significantly improves someone else's workflow I'm happy to go ahead.

If Emma is reading this (I know she's travelling around at work) I'd
love to hear her experience in sharing code across branches in bazaar
is because what she doesn't know about bazaar isn't worth knowing.

With regard to the future, I think we need to conduct some sort of
feedback research to identify problem areas and requests. Knowing how
hard it is to get feedback from the community we need to consider that
developing the right questions, getting accurate feedback and
implementing any changes is likely to push us beyond Karmic. We might
think about running focus/feedback groups on IRC.

Phil and I discussed troubleshooting a few years ago and had some code
but I think collating a FAQ for each release might be as useful at the
moment.

Regards,

Dougie Richardson
http://www.lynxworks.eu/